Wednesday, January 1, 2014

talkative barber

Published by: Los Angeles Times, December 11, 1887
Written by: ?
HOW HE SECURED QUIET 

"It is a pleasant day, sir," said the loquacious barber.
"You are right.Just hold on a minute. I want to make a note of that so I can tell my partner," and the patron got out of the chair, all lathered as he was, took down his overcoat, fished out a notebook, and made an entry therein.
It worked for full fifteen minutes and then once more the ruling passion asserted itself.
"Your face is rather tender, sir."

"Is it so? I guess I will call on my physician and get something to toughen it. Just wait until I make a note of it so I won't forget." and again the half-shaved customer went for the notebook.
Ten minutes' respite followed. 
"You need a shampoo, sir; your hair is full of dandruff." 

"I am glad you told me. I'm in a hurry now, but please remind me of it when you get through, so I can make a note of it." 

For seventeen long months now that man has been shaved by the same barber, and during all this time he has remained as silent as a stone angel on a tombstone in a country graveyard at midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment